Fresh opposition demonstrations planned in Senegal against Wade
Feb 7, 2012, 13:06 GMT
Dakar - Fresh demonstrations were planned Tuesday in the Senegalese capital, Dakar, as opposition leaders continued to call for President Abdoulaye Wade to pull out of an upcoming election.
The movement, known as M23, called for supporters of at least nine opposition leaders to take to the streets Tuesday.
'We're calling on everyone to attend this march and stand up for violations of the constitution,' M23 leader Alioune Tine told local journalists.
Wade, 86, is standing for a third term in office despite Senegal's two-term constitutional limit. The president has said this does not apply to him because he came to power before the rule was imposed.
Tuesday's protest was initially due to be held at the Place d'Obelisque, a square in central Dakar where one protester was killed as police tried to break up protests there last week.
It was also due to reach the Interior Ministry.
But the government said it was setting limits in parts of the city where the opposition could protest.
'It's not up to Wade to tell us how to behave,' said Tine. 'We know what we're doing and we'll do it.'