Diplomats see some progress after restarted Transnistria talks
Dec 1, 2011, 17:24 GMT
Vienna - The revived talks between Moldova and its breakaway province Transnistria yielded some progress, as both sides agreed Thursday to hold further negotiations, the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) said.
Before this meeting, in the Lithuanian capital Riga, there had been no talks for six years on solving the so-called frozen conflict.
Russian-speaking Transnistria seceded from Romanian-speaking Moldova after a civil war ending in 1992. But both are still technically in a state of war.
'We made good progress on a document of principles and procedures for talks,' the OSCE's envoy in Moldova, Philip Remler, told dpa after attending the two-day round that ended Thursday.
The meeting also included representatives from Russia, Ukraine, the United States and the European Union.
The next round is scheduled in February in Ireland.
'Maintaining the positive momentum and continuing regular official meetings is essential now to advance the comprehensive resolution of the conflict - the goal that we all share,' said Lithuanian Foreign Minister Audronius Azubalis, whose country currently chairs the OSCE.
Read more about OSCE