Middle East News
Egypt ex-president Mubarak to face criminal trial
May 24, 2011, 13:42 GMT
Cairo - Egypt's former president Hosny Mubarak and his sons Gamal and Alaa will face trial in a criminal court on charges of involvement in the killing of protesters and corruption, the attorney general's office said Tuesday.
The announcement comes after Mubarak and his sons were detained for more than one month, during which they were questioned by prosecutors as the investigation proceeded. The detention period was due to expire on Friday.
The 83-year-old Mubarak is accused of cooperating with senior security officials in the killing of protesters during widespread anti-government demonstrations that shook the country in January and February.
Mubarak is also accused of abusing his powers and misusing public funds to amass private wealth for himself and his sons.
Gamal and Alaa face charges of involvement in attacks on protesters and corruption.
The attorney general's office said further charges, still under investigation, were likely to be issued against Gamal and Alaa at a later date.
The former president, who suffered a heart attack during the first round of questioning, has been in detention at a hospital in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh. Gamal and Alaa have been held at Tora prison in Cairo.
Mubarak stepped down on February 11, after nearly 30 years in power, following a popular revolt that lasted 18 days. The Egyptian military and a caretaker cabinet have been governing the country since then.