Middle East News
Syrian forces seize another 20 in crackdown, say activists
Sep 12, 2011, 6:23 GMT
Cairo/Beirut - Syrian security forces Monday carried out house-to-house raids in several areas of the country looking for pro-democracy activists, seizing as many 20 suspects, activists said.
'The thugs of (Syrian President Bashar) al-Assad and their officers are continuing their crackdown on everybody whom they believe is against them,' the spokesman for the Local Coordination Committees, an umbrella group that helps organize and document protests across Syria, told the German Press Agency dpa.
'We have information that as many as 20 people were rounded in the eastern tribal province of Deir al-Zor, in the southern Hauran Plain and in villages around the city of Hama,' he added.
The Syrian Human Rights Organization Sawasiah reported that at least 113 civilians were killed last week in the crackdown against protesters which were carried in the flashpoint city of Homs.
They added that among those killed was a family of five.
The organization added that three activists also died from apparent torture in prison, but did not give details.
The United Nations says 2,200 people have died in the uprising that started in mid-March, while a Syrian human rights organization says security forces have killed 3,000 civilians.
Syria has banned most foreign journalists from entering its territories, making it hard to independently verify accounts coming out of the country.
On Sunday the six Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries called on Syria to immediately stop bloodshed and implement 'prompt and serious reforms.'